Getting your Colorado real estate license is not complex. If you have never had a license you need to take a state mandated course and pass a state test. If you have had a license before, see Step 1 below to determine your educational and testing requirements. Please understand one key difference between Colorado and other States - Colorado is a single license state. This means that we do not have a Salesperson or Broker license as is common in many states. In Colorado, every real estate agent is an Associate Broker. This is a one-size-fits-all license that enables you to conduct any type of real estate transaction. The following steps will lead you to getting your Colorado Associate Brokers license:
- New applicants: if you have never had a real estate license, you must take the Real Estate Pre-Licensing Course before taking the State licensing exam. Click HERE for information about our Real Estate Licensing Courses
- If you have an inactive or expired Colorado license, or a license from another State: click HERE to see the State Broker Application pdf containing educational and testing requirements (scroll to the bottom of pdf to see requirements) . Need some practice help for the test? Click HERE for information about our ONLINE Exam Preparation Practice Exams, Courses and LIVE Exam Cram Workshop.
Prior to submitting an application for a license you need to submit a set of fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation for the purpose of conducting a state and national criminal history record check. These checks can take a few weeks or more to process so it is best submit your fingerprints as early as possible. You can submit your fingerprints at any time - you do not need to take classes or test first.
For information about the background check and how to get and submit your fingerprints click HERE.
Once you have completed your required education, you will receive a certificate from us that will qualify you to take the state exam. You can contact PSI to schedule your exam at www.psiexams.com. The exam fee is $85. You must pass your required examinations before you apply for a license. Click HERE to see additional information about the test.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- If you have been or are licensed in another State(s); you need to obtain a certificate of license history from each jurisdiction. If the other license is current (active or inactive), the certificate must be less than 90 days old when you submit your Colorado application.
- New agents must find an employing broker. Your employing broker must sign your application for a real estate license. Apply for your license within one year of passing the examination.
- Obtain Errors and Omissions insurance – not expensive, but speak with your new employing broker before ordering.
- Submit your license application to the Colorado Real Estate Commission. You can find the application HERE.